Monday, December 29, 2008

Butternut squash soup and variation

Butternut squash soup

Ingredients:
1 bag of frozen butternut squash cubes
1/4 cup onions
1 tablespoon coconut oil
4 cups veggetable broth
S&P to taste

Saute the onions in the coconut oil. Add the butternut squash cubes and cook for a few minutes. Add the broth, and simmer for 20 minutes until the squash in tender. Puree with a stick blender. This is a thin, broth-like soup, great for a base.



Today I wanted something hot for lunch, and soup sounded good, but I wanted a heartier soup. So, I thought I would heat up a cup of my butternut squash soup and add 3 tablespoons of couscous. Then for protein I chopped up the end of the smoked ham from christmas and added it. It was so good! The soup thickened up nicely, and the ham added a great salty contrast to the sweet base.

No comments: